Holding Faith

One woman's spiritual journey through life, hanging on to faith in her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher and perfecter of that faith. " . . . that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith . . . " (I Timothy 1: 18c, 19; ESV)

Thursday, May 8, 2008

In Mid-March, Grace and I attended a Casting Crowns concert. The pre-concert acts were John Waller and Leeland. God spoke to me during one of Leeland's songs, and for some reason, I've been thinking about that today, so I looked up the words and wanted to share them with you.

First, some background from the Scriptures:

"Jonathan, the son of Saul, had a son who was crippled in his feet. He was five years old when the news about Saul and Jonathan came from Jezreel, and his nurse took him up and fled, and as she fled in her haste, he fell and became lame. And his name was Mephibosheth. . . And David said, "Is there still anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?" Now there was a servant of the house of Saul whose name was Ziba, and they called him to David. And the king said to him, "Are you Ziba?" And he said, "I am your servant." And the king said, "Is there not still someone of the house of Saul, that I may show the kindness of God to him?" Ziba said to the king, "There is still a son of Jonathan; he is crippled in his feet." The king said to him, "Where is he?" And Ziba said to the king, "He is in the house of Machir the son of Ammiel, at Lo-debar." Then King David sent and brought him from the house of Machir the son of Ammiel, at Lo-debar. And Mephibosheth the son of Jonathan, son of Saul, came to David and fell on his face and paid homage. And David said, "Mephibosheth!" And he answered, "Behold, I am your servant." And David said to him, "Do not fear, for I will show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan, and I will restore to you all the land of Saul your father, and you shall eat at my table always." And he paid homage and said, "What is your servant, that you should show regard for a dead dog such as I?" Then the king called Ziba, Saul's servant, and said to him, "All that belonged to Saul and to all his house I have given to your master's grandson. And you and your sons and your servants shall till the land for him and shall bring in the produce, that your master's grandson may have bread to eat. But Mephibosheth your master's grandson shall always eat at my table." Now Ziba had fifteen sons and twenty servants. Then Ziba said to the king, "According to all that my lord the king commands his servant, so will your servant do." So Mephibosheth ate at David's table, like one of the king's sons. And Mephibosheth had a young son, whose name was Mica. And all who lived in Ziba's house became Mephibosheth's servants.
So Mephibosheth lived in Jerusalem, for he ate always at the king's table. Now he was lame in both his feet." (I Samuel 4:4; 9: 1 - 13; English Standard Version)

Now the song (you can listen to it here):

Carried To the Table

Wounded and forsaken
I was shattered by the fall
Broken and forgotten
Feeling lost and all alone
Summoned by the King
Into the Master’s courts
Lifted by the Savior
And cradled in His arms

REFRAIN: I was carried to the table
Seated where I don’t belong
Carried to the table
Swept away by His love
And I don’t see my brokenness anymore
When I’m seated at the table of the Lord
I’m carried to the table
The table of the Lord

Fighting thoughts of fear
And wondering why He called my name
Am I good enough to share this cup
This world has left me lame
Even in my weakness
The Savior called my name
In His Holy presence
I’m healed and unashamed

REFRAIN

You carried me, my God
You carried me

Words & Music by Leeland Dayton Mooring, Steve Hindalong and Marc Byrd / © 2006 Meaux Mercy (BMI) / Meaux Hits / Never Say Never Songs (ASCAP) / New Spring (ASCAP). All rights for the world on behalf of Never Say Never Songs administered by New Spring (ASCAP) / Meaux Mercy / Blue Raft Music (BMI)

As I listened, God whispered to my heart, "That's what I did for you." Tears coursed down my cheeks. Yes, like Mephibosheth, I was broken, not only before I came to know Christ as my Saviour, but broken by the daily battle of life. And my God did not leave me alone. No. He carried me.

When I looked up the lyrics tonight, I found this "Behind the Song" information:

Inspired by the story of Mephibosheth, a man blessed by David in Second Samuel, Leeland Mooring explains. “We’re broken people. We have sin in our lives and we outcast ourselves from God’s kingdom. But God’s love is constantly chasing after us, kinda like how David sought out Mephibosheth. I think when we are taken in by God’s love, we are brought into his kingdom and brought to his table. We’re saved by grace. No one can see that we are hurt because we’re covered by the blood of Jesus. That’s so relevant to us even now.”

Thank you, Jesus.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home