Holding Faith

One woman's spiritual journey through life, hanging on to faith in her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher and perfecter of that faith. " . . . that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith . . . " (I Timothy 1: 18c, 19; ESV)

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Counting My Blessings

Two months ago, I posted that I was hurting spiritually. With some encouragement from friends, and a resolve to get my life back together, I am pleased that God is answering my prayers to once again grow close to Him. I'm not where I should be, but I'm no longer where I was. I started reading my Bible again - faithfully - going through the Psalms, which have been a source of encouragement many times in the past. This time through, I am seeing many new things, probably because my situation is different. I am awed once again by God's lovingkindness as expressed so eloquently by the various Psalmists.

I found myself counting my blessings the other day as God brought many things to my mind. Some of them include (in no particular order):

~ A friendship that was mended, I believe because of Phil's illness;

~ My two beautiful daughters, who both love the Lord and want to serve Him. They haven't had it easy, having grown up with a mom who is handicapped because of fibromyalgia, and now having their dad suffer from kidney failure and incurable cancer. Nonetheless, this has helped shape their character and make them who they are today;

~ The company my husband worked for since late 1986, which allows medically disabled employees to keep their benefits even through their employment is terminated. I can't imagine where we'd be financially if we hadn't been able to keep our medical insurance. And even though that is changing for the worse because of federal law which mandates that dialysis patients go on Medicare after a certain number of months, things could be much much worse;

~ Pastor Lloyd and his wife, Cheri, whom we met at our very first church after we were married, then didn't see for about 15 years, then came back into our lives when we went to our new church. They know firsthand about incurable cancer;

~ Wonderful friends that I've met over the Internet, especially the ladies from Stamp and Scrap 4 Joy;

~ Having no debt. Thanks to my grandfather, we own our house free and clear;

~ A husband who has and is enduring more than I could ever imagine, yet whose faith in God does not waiver;

~ My parents and in-laws, who have supported us in innumerable ways.

Count Your Blessings

When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


Refrain: Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.


Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will keep singing as the days go by. Refrain


When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold;
Count your many blessings. Wealth can never buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high. Refrain


So, amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be disheartened, God is over all;
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end. Refrain


Listen to it here.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home