Holding Faith

One woman's spiritual journey through life, hanging on to faith in her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher and perfecter of that faith. " . . . that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith . . . " (I Timothy 1: 18c, 19; ESV)

Sunday, December 2, 2007

God and the Snow

We are under a winter storm watch, high wind warning, and a lake effect snow warning, which will affect us at various times through Wednesday, dumping up to a foot of snow with winds of up to 50 miles per hour. Sounds exciting, no?

What does the Word of God have to say about snow? Here are a few:

"He does wonders, more than may be searched out; great things of which we have no knowledge; For he says to the snow, Make the earth wet; and to the rain-storm, Come down." (Job 37: 5 & 6, Bible in Basic English)

"Have you been to the places where I keep snow and hail, until I use them to punish and conquer nations? From where does lightning leap, or the east wind blow? Who carves out a path for thunderstorms? Who sends torrents of rain on empty deserts where no one lives? Rain that changes barren land to meadows green with grass. Who is the father of the dew and of the rain? Who gives birth to the sleet and the frost that fall in winter, when streams and lakes freeze solid as a rock?" (Job 38: 22 - 30, Contemporary English Version)

"He gives snow like wool; He scatters the white frost like ashes." (Psalm 147: 16, Literal Translation of the Holy Bible)

God control the weather, whether it be snow, rain, wind, or anything in between!

"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. " (Psalm 51: 7, English Standard Version)

"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool." (Isaiah 1:18, English Standard Version)

Our sin, which makes us dirty, black, unclean, becomes whiter than the whitest snow when we come to the Lord Jesus Christ and accept the free gift of salvation which He offers us.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it."" (Isaiah 55: 8 - 11, English Standard Version)

I love this promise. that God's Word never fails - whatever God intends for it to do will come to be. Sometimes we grow impatient, thinking "our" work is in vain. If it is our work, the result is not guaranteed. But when we pray and allow God's Spirit to lead, our obedience - God's work - will have the desired outcome. What a precious promise!

I will leave you with the words to the hymn, I Shall Be Whiter Than Snow, by James L. Nicholson. This hymn, based on Psalm 51: 7, was penned in 1872.

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole;
I want Thee forever to live in my soul.
Break down every idol, cast out every foe;
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Refrain: Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow.
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Lord Jesus, let nothing unholy remain,
Apply Thine own blood and extract ev’ry stain;
To get this blest cleansing, I all things forego—
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Refrain

Lord Jesus, look down from Thy throne in the skies,
And help me to make a complete sacrifice.
I give up myself, and whatever I know,
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Refrain

Lord Jesus, for this I most humbly entreat,
I wait, blessèd Lord, at Thy crucified feet.
By faith, for my cleansing, I see Thy blood flow,
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Refrain

Lord Jesus, Thou seest I patiently wait,
Come now, and within me a new heart create;
To those who have sought Thee, Thou never saidst “No,”
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Refrain

The blessing by faith, I receive from above;
O glory! my soul is made perfect in love;
My prayer has prevailed, and this moment I know,
The blood is applied, I am whiter than snow. Refrain

1 Comments:

  • At December 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM , Blogger J-ME said...

    So sorry to read that you had to move your blog. Thanks for all the scripture about snow. I didn't know about all of those and never thought to do a search. I like the song, too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home