Holding Faith

One woman's spiritual journey through life, hanging on to faith in her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher and perfecter of that faith. " . . . that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith . . . " (I Timothy 1: 18c, 19; ESV)

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Thanksgiving

gingram | 22 November, 2007 21:07


I have so much to be thankful for! My family, my home, my country, my salvation . . . but without God, none of this would be possible. I was thinking during our car ride home from my in-laws, where we had Thanksgiving dinner, that I am seeing glimmers of hope where my relationship with the Lord is concerned.

Let me explain: in my November 10, 2007 post, I noted that my husband's kidneys stopped working as a result of his cancer and that we endured 18 months of hemodialysis before his switch to home dialysis earlier this year. A lot went on in those 18 months including watching my husband grow weaker and more incapacitated due to his initial chemo, way too many doctor's appointments (Phil's oncologist at the time refused to believe that medication side effects were indeed that and sent him to doctor after doctor trying to find other explanations), preparation for a stem cell transplant and the procedure itself, five hospitalizations, three surgeries, navigating the disability and Social Security disability nightmare, taking over the household responsibilities Phil used to have, taking him to dialysis at least twice a week, sometimes three times and arranging transportation for the Saturdays I didn't take him, keeping the household running, and leaving our church of 16 years. During all this, my faith remained strong and vibrant. Yet when all this was over, and our training for home dialysis complete, my faith began to disintegrate. Not that I doubted my salvation. That never entered my mind. I was so utterly worn out that I just shut down, and I have not recovered. But a couple days ago, I experienced a bit of the excitement I used to have, a few brief moments of worship, a stirring of hope within.

On Wednesday evening, I purchased a fabulous album, the second vocal release by Gordon Mote, Don't Let Me Miss the Glory. Several of the songs resonated with me the first few times I listened to the album. Gordon's rendition of Steven Curtis Chapman's My Redeemer is Faithful and True is one:

[Psalm 103:17 - "But the steadfast love of the LORD is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children's children", ESV]

As I look back on the road I've travelled,
I see so many times He carried me through;
And if there's one thing that I've learned in my life,
My Redeemer is faithful and true.
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

[Chorus:] My Redeemer is faithful and true.
Everything He has said He will do,
And every morning His mercies are new.
My Redeemer is faithful and true.

My heart rejoices when I read the promise
'There is a place I am preparing for you.'
I know someday I'll see my Lord face to face,
'Cause my Redeemer is faithful and true.
My Redeemer is faithful and true. [Chorus]

And in every situation He has proved His love to me;
When I lack the understanding, He gives more grace to me. [Chorus]

(Steven Curtis Chapman and James Isaac Elliott)

Another song, which Gordon sang at the Gaither Give It Away Tour last month (accompanied by majestic nature scenes projected on the big screens at the front of the concert venue), was written by Joe Beck and Carl Cartee. Don't Let Me Miss the Glory has been described as "sweeping," but I would use words such as "majestic," "awe-inspiring," and "majestic." I especially like the reference to Lamentations 3:22 - 23: "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness" (ESV)

In the view from the mountain
There’s a story to be told
In the crashing of the ocean
There’s a power that no man can ever hold
All the stars in the heavens
Decorate your handiwork
Like a mighty choir, they’ve come to celebrate your worth

[Chorus] Don’t let me miss the glory
Don’t let me miss the grace
And all creation singin’
To the honor of your name
Don’t let me miss the wonder
Don’t let me miss the grand design
The lightning and the thunder
Lord, open up my eyes
Don’t let me miss the glory

In the cry of a baby
In the laughter of love
In the dance of the faithful
You will find the greatness of our God above
In the prayer of the righteous
In the beauty of your grace
In the brand new morning’s mercy
All your memory of my sin has been erased

[Repeat Chorus, Bridge, Repeat Chorus]


So much to be thankful for! Keep your eyes on the One Who is Faithful and True, marvel at His beautiful grace, celebrate His worth, delight in morning's new mercy! Blessed be the Name of the Lord!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home