Holding Faith

One woman's spiritual journey through life, hanging on to faith in her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, the author and finisher and perfecter of that faith. " . . . that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith . . . " (I Timothy 1: 18c, 19; ESV)

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Tapping Into God's Strength

gingram | 11 November, 2007 21:49


Lately I've been thinking about overcoming temptation. God's Word speaks of this in I Corinthians 10: 13 - "No temptation has overtaken you that is unusual for human beings. But God is faithful, and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond your strength. Instead, along with the temptation he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to endure it." (International Standard Version) Here, God acknowledges that temptation will be a part of life, but that He will give us a way out. Where I think we get hung up is the part of the verse that says we will not "be tempted beyond [our] strength." We cannot overcome temptation in our own strength, but only by submitting ourselves fully to the Lord in this and every situation and confessing our own weakness to overcome, allowing His strength which shows itself triumphant when we are weak, to overtake us and thereby have victory over the temptation we are facing. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." II Cor. 12:9, English Standard Version


"But how do we do that", you might ask. "What is the formula which I must follow in order to get God's strength and thereby overcome this temptation which I am facing?" There is no formula, no magic words, no special prayer. You must simply acknowledge your weakness before God, your inability to walk through this alone, and ask for His strength. Fall on your knees before Him, give Him praise!


2Sa 22:2 Our LORD and our God, you are my mighty rock, my fortress, my protector.
2Sa 22:3 You are the rock where I am safe. You are my shield, my powerful weapon, and my place of shelter. You rescue me and keep me from being hurt.
2Sa 22:4 I praise you, our LORD! I prayed to you, and you rescued me from my enemies.


Pray the Psalms and other passages of Scripture where God is exalted. Darkness will flee before Him!


One other point to ponder: Temptation which comes again and again may, in reality, be an addiction which you must deal with. Simply substituting another behavior for temptation of this type is not the answer; turning from your idolatry (which is what addiction is because you have made addiction your god) and putting God in His rightful place ("You shall have no other gods before me" Exodus 20:3). This is beyond what I dare tackle here, but I would refer you to the book, Women Helping Women by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Carol Cornish for a Biblical approach to addiction.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home